This rare image is reproduced from a glass plate negative in the collection of the NSW State Archives. It was taken on the railway lines running eastward from Summer Hill towards Petersham in 1885 or 1886.
A section of the image was discovered to depict the old church of Saint Thomas of Canterbury (founded 1851) and the adjacent Catholic cemetery. The cemetery, as shewn in this photograph, extended from the church fully to the righthand side of the image. It is believed that almost 4000 burials took place in the cemetery, but all of the graves were relocated in the first 40 years of the twentieth century.
The image was digitally enhanced by The Saint Bede Studio.
Click on the image for an enlarged view.